Monday, May 08, 2006

Past Weekend

First things first...

This past weekend started off well. Friday night I got to make two small pieces due to no one showing up for the demo and Patrick the shop owner let me just play around. Thus I made Bonnie the apple that she has been buggin me to make for the past two times at the shop. It turned out quite well I was surprised. I also made a glow snot ornament. Which broke like all the others that I have made for some reason. Will post some picture when I find the camera again. Saturday was good will go into what I made when posting pictures. Now for Sunday started off good but ended in disaster. I got to find out how to crackle a piece like I want. I tried it 1 time and it turned out somewhat like a wanted but for some reason the cracks only went vertically no horizontal. This was very strange to me and Patrick which had never seen it do that before. That piece got dropped due to everyone telling me that my jack line was not off the pipe and I insisted that it was but due to being somewhat new I heated the crap out of it and jacked it about an inch from where it was. Then next thing I know when I heated it up for about the 3rd time after that it snapped off right at the pipe. And of course it was right where my jack line used to be thus I was off the pipe. The piece was so big that I could not heat the neck enough to keep it hot and the weight of the piece just snapped it off in the glory hole. It then could not be saved due to having to grab it with the pipe and chunking it into the shop so that it did not weld itself to the wall of the glory hole. The next one that I tried was a crackle again and I guess that I placed too much of the white powder on the outside so when I put in the water it did not crackle very well. I blew it out and then gathered over it really quick and it all went away. So I decided that I had some good pieces this weekend so I was going thin really thin. I got it to about 1/16 of an inch and it was everywhere and I was having fun. Spun it out almost flat and then fluted it. I went to pop it off and bam the whole bottom came off in one piece. The funny thing about it was that the bottom was about 8 inches around and it broke in a complete circle. Well I still have not got pieces from the shop so when I get them and find the camera I will post again. Till the "gravity is your friend and keep it hot..."

Sloth

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog......Found you through scott's log and figured I would have a look. I have been blowing glass for about 3 months at BAGI and a private shop in San Jose, CA. Mind if I ask how you made the 2 swirled paperweights in the february archive? They have colored cores with what appears to be white powder swirled on the outside?

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog......Found you through scott's log and figured I would have a look. I have been blowing glass for about 3 months at BAGI and a private shop in San Jose, CA. Mind if I ask how you made the 2 swirled paperweights in the february archive? They have colored cores with what appears to be white powder swirled on the outside?

Larry Cazes

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.