Monday, March 06, 2006

More of Saturday's Glass


Ok here are some more of Saturday's Glass pieces.

Here is the second MUG that I attempted to make. It is white with black optic mold then spun just a little....well a lot. But this was my second attempt at a hand it came out ok just alittle off stright but you can still use it not that much off.

I learned something about black....There is no real black when it comes to glass it is either a really dark blue or a really dark purple.

Well here is the next peice of glass and the final one of the day. It is a bowl with the oppisite striation deal. It again did not work out well dont know if it was the colors or the maker. Most likely the maker. Then again it is still really nice. I used a yellow one of the guys had at the shop not really sure of the actuall name of the yellow but it is yellow and a firn green. I really like this peice the two colors are really nice. The piece is about 8 to 9 inches around and about 7 or 8 inches high. Well that is all I have for Saturday except fo the MUG that I dont have yet but more to come as soon as I can get over to the shop and pick them up. If not this weekend it will have to be the weekend after that when I back for my second run in the shop this month. I am so glad I get in more this month.

1 comment:

Is it sync'd yet? said...

These are looking great! I really like the idea of the double optic and it can turn out awesome if you get it right.

I don't know if this will help, but the way I do it might be a little different and help you in your quest.

When you are going to do the double optic don't put much of a starter bubble in it. Keep it about the size of a grape. Get your second gather( I assume that is where you are putting the first color on), and do you first optic.

Heat that bugger all the way up until you have melted in all the optic grooves. Then apply a white/robins egg/sand/ivory etc..etc.. light powder. Something non-transparent that you think you will like with the inside color and the outside. Get like 3 or 4 good gathers of powder on it. Then gather some clear over it. So that was you 3rd gather. Remember to try to keep them a little thin on the gathers so you don't end up with some big honk'n piece.

Now that you have the first color on with an optic spin, the powder with no optic, then the clear on top of the powder. Give your bubble anouther little blow until you see the outside grow a little. All the gathering and optic stuff is going to colapse your bubble.

Now gather your final color on that puppy and melt it in. Get it ripp'n, hit the optic and sping the other way. I suggest that you do this with a block this time. Just angle it so that the end of the piece hits the wood and twists it much like you do on the marver. Try not to spin this to hard or you will start to reverse you sping on the inside. You will not need much to create the affect you want. I would also like to suggest that you use 00, 0, or powder sized frits for the optics it will cause the optic to show up better.

Now work as normal and you should get a nice double optic reverse spin.

Handle look good dude, I can't do handles for shit. Only advise I have on them is to rotate your wrist 180 before you grab it, twisting the glass on the tweezers as you go to put it back on the vessle and if give you a nice littel loop.

I think you handles are better than mine actually, I never do them.

Everything looks great!

Scott.
.